A thorough approach in a sensitive area
One of the most sensitive areas of separation and divorce is the provision of child or spousal support. We know that each client has unique needs, yet common to all support arrangements is that every case requires a thorough approach that emphasizes fairness and balance as much as possible.
Our experienced family law team understands the complexities and nuances of child and spousal support agreements. We will work with you to ensure that you understand the process and how to effectively navigate this element of family law – including when and why you should revisit an agreement once it’s in place.
Factors involved in child and spousal support
Up front in a support situation, we must consider many factors, including:
- Overall expenses, including any extraordinary expenses
- Steady income versus sporadic income
- Existing child and spousal support arrangements
- Tax implications
- Other extenuating circumstances
While there are general guidelines for spousal support in Ontario, there is room for discretion in how they are applied. For that reason, it’s important to have an experienced lawyer attend to such important questions as:
- How much will you likely be required to pay or how much will you receive?
- When will it end?
- Are there special factors in your case?
- Is there any other approach that can be taken to restructure the obligation and is it to my benefit to do so?